Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Poetry on Buses

In Seattle, we didn't have a car for our first few years, so we took the bus to the supermarket and if we ever wanted to go anywhere. We didn't need it for commuting though as we both lived and worked downtown. However, when I was in New Zealand, I commuted to work on the bus every day and I also used the bus to get to and from University at least a few times each week.

I found this poem while living in Seattle. The King County Metro hosts an annual poetry competition for residents of King, Pierce, Kitsap and Snohomish Counties. This poem is from 1999.

Poetry for Buses

You, sitting behind me again.
Do you always have to take this bus?
What is the story with that cough, anyway?
Is it maybe the longest running cold
In the history of colds?
Or do you think it could be the cigarettes?

You do plan to get off pretty soon,
Don’t you?

R McNaughton Phillips. I ride the bus and I write poetry, but rarely at the same time.

No comments: